Did Dad put down rat poison in the garden yesterday and leave the gate open so Max could eat it, or didn’t he? That is the question.
I went for our usual walk yesterday morning with Max, up to Rock Street his new favourite route. We arrived back happily enough and I gave him a shaker of milk made from milk powder, shaken and poured into his scraps bowl. So far, so good….
Out of the blue Dad comes into the house and says he thinks he scattered some poison pellets in the garden and forgot to close the gate. Suddenly they are gone! Only Max could have taken them. Mice are not active during the day and it usually takes a week for the pellets to disappear.
Mum looked miserable. She wants a Sillky Terrier like Truffles again. Dad was in panic mode. I was adamant. We have to take him to the Vet. Crisis talks intervened and off we went in the car with Max in the back seat.
The vets were lovely, and gave Max some drops to make him bring up his food. By the time we had discovered the supposed incident, he had already had his lunch. Any pellets would have left his stomach long ago.
Still, after seemingly ages, Max had not changed, nor had he shown us his stomach contents. We had walked up and down the nature strip outside the vet’s and waited for a long time, to no avail.
He had three sets of medicines, but nothing happened except he quieted down a lot. Great! It was time for the explanation of terrible things that happen to animals who eat poison pellets. The cure takes four weeks.
We checked Max out of the vet’s and I went next door to the chemist for activated charcoal. Apparently dogs and children are treated much the same way for this and the charcoal helps to absorb anything poisonous.
Vitamin K was mentioned, and a blood test that can indicate how the treatment is going. It was all part of the four week long treatment plan.
Back at home Mum rang another vet where we had once taken another of our dogs a few years ago. They had some of the Vitamin K to hand and could give Max an injection. That was a relief. We bundled him up and he had a shot from that vet. We were also given some tablets to continue with th vitamin K after the charcoal had taken effect.
At home, we gave him six charcoal tables every forty minutes with some meaty jelly that we had in the fridge from a couple of nights ago.
It was such a dramatic day. Max started feeling better after a couple of hours and was his usual cheerful self. Mum and Dad were going over everything that had happened that morning and decided that Dad might not have set the poison pellets, after all. He thought that he had seen pigeons by the shed and gone off to shoo them away, leaving the box of pellets on a tall shelf in the garden.
I was tired out from arguing with them. They thought the first vet had fixed Max and did not understand the concept of a four week treatment plan for an animal. I went to bed. We had given Max 52 of the 60 activated charcoal tablets.
The next morning Mum was happy to tell me that there was no way that Dad could have scattered the pellets. He had chased the pigeons and left the box on a shelf. Max would be fine. Mmmmm…..
He rang the second vet to ask if we could return the unopened pack of vitamin K tablets. The vet agreed to accept them back.
In the meantime, I will keep an eye on Max to see whether he is OK. At present, he just looks tired out after all the fuss, like me.